Notice from the Auckland University of Technology about a new competition for school pupils.
Capture your school signing the national anthem and enter your video here to win cool prizes for your school.
We'd like to see as many people from your school as possible signing the national anthem together.
But don't worry if you are from a small school - the prize isn't for the most people but for the video that shows off your creative ideas.
Camcorders for runners up and a massive TV for your school goes to the winner.
Register your interest in entering the competition now
Register here to get help with your Sign Star project. AUT will send out posters to the people who register early so you can spread the word around your school.
Deaf Aotearoa will do their best to match you up with a sign language expert in your area. You will need to tick the box requesting assistance on the registration form.
The competition closes on the 15th of June at 4pm.
Send to AUT your video
- Each video should be no longer than 3 minutes
- Please try to compress your video file to reduce filesize using a file converter. The maximum size we can accept is 100meg
- Upload your video here
Handy tips for the competition
- Watch the National Anthem (free on YouTube or order a DVD) a couple of times to get an idea of what it looks like. Then practice one line at a time, then do one verse at a time.
- Research if your town has a local Deaf Club - make contact with them and ask if anyone from the Club would be willing to meet with you and help polish your signing.
- Contact NZ Sign Language Teachers Association for a local tutor who would be willing to meet with you & polish your signing.
- Go online and use the NZSL Online Dictionary to help polish particular signs.
Terms and conditions
- Open to New Zealand schools only
- One entry per school
- Each video should be no longer than 4 minutes
- You only need to sign the short version of the national anthem YouTube
- Sign Star project to be lead by students (with teachers and others help)
- Video to be made by students
- The video should be of a group of people from your school signing the anthem (as many as you can get!)
- Email AUT on email@example.com if you have any queries.