Many Wellington organisations are holding events to commemorate their connection with Katherine Mansfield this month as the 14th October 2013 marks the 125th anniversary of Katherine Mansfield's birth and the 25th anniversary of the opening of Katherine Mansfield Birthplace (KMB).
Photograph of Katherine Mansfield in 1914, taken by the Adelphi Studio, The Strand, London. Image is courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library, Reference: 1/4-017274-F.
· Katherine Mansfield Birthplace: From October 1 visit the exhibition “Forever Young” featuring Mansfield’s personal possessions and the restoration project of the birthplace at 25 Tinakori Road.
· Old St Paul’s: As the childhood church of Katherine Mansfield, Old St Paul’s is hosting a special event in her honour on October 13. It will begin with an interactive tour of Old St Paul’s, celebrating the Mansfield (Beauchamp) family connection and parish life between 1888-1923. Then musical director David Trott will perform a selection of music from the era. Tours will be available at 11am, 12:30pm and 2pm. Gold coin donation.
· Alexander Turnbull Library: From October 14 an exhibition of rarely-seen Mansfield manuscripts, books, photographs and personal objects, will be held in the Katherine Mansfield Reading Room, Level 1, National Library building, corner of Molesworth and Aitken streets.
· Parliamentary Library: The young Katherine Mansfield was a regular user of the General Assembly Library during 1907-1908. A display showing how she used the library, and her reading tastes, can be viewed in Parliament’s Visitor Centre on the ground floor of the Beehive (Executive Wing). Available throughout October, the display can be viewed independently or combined with a public tour of Parliament. For further details on visiting and tours visit http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/about-parliament/visiting/.
· Millwood Gallery: From October 13, visit an exhibition of paintings inspired by Mansfield’s short stories.
· Te Papa: Join curator Claire Regnault for an illustrated talk inspired by the young Katherine Beauchamp’s frequent appearances in Wellington’s society pages on October 21, from 10.30am-midday. To book email email@example.com or phone (04) 381 7051. Friends of Te Papa $15, public $20 (includes refreshments and parking).
· Te Papa: On October 31 from 10.30-11.15am curator Rebecca Rice will discuss Anne Estelle Rice’s much-loved portrait of Katherine Mansfield, and works by other artists who, like Mansfield, left New Zealand for Europe. Cost $5, registration essential. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (04) 381 7051.
· St John’s in the City: A concert called “Music and Friendship” featuring music by Mansfield’s friend Arnold Trowell will be held on October 11, from 6-7pm. Performed by cellist Martin Griffiths and pianist Eleanor Carter.
· Walking Tours: A series of tours curated by author Kevin Boon will be held during early October, including Wellington Writers Walk (October 12, morning), Days Bay Walk (October 12, afternoon) and Katherine Mansfield’s Thorndon (October 13). For more details contact Kevin on (04) 479 3264 or email@example.com.