Skip to main content

TV viewing hours up as New Zealand prepares to go digital

2011 was a bumper year for television viewing in New Zealand but for this to continue everyone needs to go digital.

Research from Nielsen’s TV Trends 2011 shows a 2 percent increase in the number of hours New Zealanders spent watching television in 2011.

From September this year Hawke’s Bay and the West Coast of the South Island will be the first regions to go digital. The rest of the country will follow in stages across 2013.

When New Zealand goes digital everyone will need either a digital television or a set to box with a UHF aerial or satellite dish if they are to continue watching television.

“Digital broadcasting makes more efficient use of the radio spectrum, meaning that more channels can be broadcast, as well as freeing up space in the airwaves for new telecommunications services that will be cheaper and faster in the long-run,” said Going Digital National Programme Manager Greg Harford.

As well as the economic benefits digital television will also give viewers more channels, better pictures and sound and new features such as an Electronic Programme Guide.

“Over 80 percent of New Zealand homes are already enjoying the digital television experience. For the remaining 20 percent they need to start looking at their options now so they are ready when their region goes digital,” said Mr Harford.

Further information on the Going Digital campaign is available from www.goingdigital.co.nz or freephone 0800 838 800.


Updated on 23rd July 2015