An Anzac commemorative site was built at Gallipoli in conjunction with the Australian government and with the approval of the Turkish government. The new site was dedicated on Anzac Day 2000 by the Prime Ministers of Australia and New Zealand.
Built three hundred metres north of Ari Burnu cemetery, the site of past Anzac Day dawn services at Gallipoli, this site is dominated by a rocky hill named the Sphinx. It was one of the first landing places of the ANZAC force and was one of the main places where the evacuation took place, nine months later.
See the Gallipoli Guide on our Anzac Day website for images of this site (including a 3-d panorama).
Chunuk Bair Memorial
View of the Memorial under wraps.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission undertook a refurbishment of the Chunuk Bair Memorial in late 2013 and kindly supplied us with these two photos.
View from the top of the Memorial taken in November 2013.
The cleaning of the fabric of the Chunuk Bair (New Zealand) Memorial in Gallipoli, and repairs to the stonework, have been completed, and the memorial is once again open to access by the public.
In March 2016, new research undertaken by the Ministry for Culture and Heritage and the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) has shown that the total number of New Zealand soldiers who served at Gallipoli in 1915 is to have been around 17,000. This new total number almost doubles the original number of 8,556 soldiers implied by General Sir Ian Hamilton in 1919 in his preface to the New Zealand official war history of the Gallipoli Campaign.